Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Possible IDS-evasion technique

From: "Sullo sq " <sq () cirt net>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 18:05:14 -0500

0.9 was (is?) a valid HTTP version, so that is why Netscape/Apache (and most others) are answering the request
properly.  An IDS _should_ not care the HTTP version for a signature matching text on 'phf'.  (of course, I suspect
encoding /cgi-bin/phf string would also fool the IDS in this case...).

Sullo

I've accidently found a way to bypass IDS detection for HTTP
requests. I've seen this behaviour on some older version of
IIS RealSecure network IDS and I wonder if this works on any
other IDSes.
[snip]
Request:
GET /cgi-bin/phf HTTP/0.9
Connection not reset, HTTP server replies "file not found"

Apparently the last form of request allows to get a meaningful
reply from HTTP server while IDS does not mind it.

Apache and Netscape Entriprise will happily reply to the last
form of request, didn't try it on other web servers.

Alla.

http://www.cirt.net/
Home of the Nikto scanner, Default Passwords, Ports, SSIDs & more