Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

quick question about the exploitability of a bug in nessus.

From: Nathan Valentine <nathan () nathanvalentine org>
Date: 12 Feb 2002 21:16:52 -0500

There is a rarely triggered bug in nessus(actually
libnasl/nasl/nessus_extenstions.c) that results in a null pointer being
passed to inet_ntoa(). nessusd segfaults when this happens.

Perhaps this is a question that cannot be answered without more
information and a core dump file, but could someone with more(read:any
;p) experience writing exploits please offer an opinion as to whether
that sounds like an exploitable situation? I am not aware of any
techniques that one could use to trick the process into running shell
code in that situation but then I don't make any claims of being even a
competent exploit coder...that's why I am here...to learn. :)

I can provide a core dump file or an explanation of how to trigger the
bug for any who are interested in taking a further look.

--
---
Nathan Valentine - nathan () nathanvalentine org