Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Character questions (fwd)

From: zeno <bugtraq () cgisecurity net>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 09:23:31 -0500 (EST)

Seems owasp didn't have an answer. Comment appreciated.

- zeno () cgisecurity com

Hello,

I wrote a few months ago a paper called "fingerprinting port 80 attacks".
I am 80 percent done with a part 2 to this paper which is so far roughly 15 pages.

I had a few questions on some characters I'm trying to find "practicle" examples
for.

   " ^" carrot

I haven't been able to find any practicle example of an attack with this.
Anyone got suggestions?

[ and ]

These other characters I also haven't seen a practicle example of.
Sure someone could execute a command simialar to rm [a-f]* but I'm curious
if anyone has a better example of usage of these characters in an attack.
Another example would be if source code was being uploaded (echod into a tmp file
and executed to help trojan a box) this could then show up but I'm looking for i
a better example if one exists.

+

I haven't found a good example of this character being used in an attack.
Also I haven't found any documentation so I'm asking the list on this one.

Thanks owasp

- zeno () cgisecurity com