Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: ssh

From: Michal Zalewski <lcamtuf () coredump cx>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 15:49:54 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Olaf Kirch wrote:

I understand the maths behind this, but I can't quite see a practical
attack. If the attacker wants to guess a plaintext block P_i transmitted
by the SSH client, he must feed his plaintext block P_(i+1) to the ssh
client on standard input, so that it is properly encrypted and then
transmitted. This implies a great deal of control over the client
process (such as the ability to write to the client's standard input).

Well, in some cases, this might be possible. For example, when some
protocol is tunneled over ssh - irc, smtp, pop3, and so on, and so on.
Pretty common application. In many cases, a block of at least partially
sensitive information (private messages, mails, etc) can be followed by
attacker-induced block (irc ping responses, smtp return envelope,
whatever). Of course, this usually does not apply to any interactive
sessions - some might argue that users are often predictable, e.g. always
type 'ls' after logging in, but...

I don't say it's not a problem, but I think this is exagerating things
a bit.

That's a different thing ;-)

--
Michal Zalewski [lcamtuf () bos bindview com] [security]
[http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx] <=-=> bash$ :(){ :|:&};: