Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: apache + .htpasswd - bypass pwd check

From: Jose Nazario <jose () monkey org>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 12:19:45 -0400 (EDT)

On 25 Apr 2002, Hallberg Tom wrote:

Okej let say that user ivan have protected his
/home/ivan/public_html/topsecret directory. And on the samer server we
have the user johan, from his public_html directory we make an symlink
ln -s /home/ivan/public_html/topsecret test okej so then johan tries
http://www.hostname.whatever/~johan/test he will end up in ivan' s
topsecret directory..

old news:
        http://www.humanfactor.com/cgi-bin/cgi-delegate/apache-ML/nh/1997/May/0397.html

fix:
        http://www.freebsddiary.org/protected.php

summary:
        Options -FollowSymLinks +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch or something similar

sorry, my apache is a bit rusty. however, its a known issue and should be
configurable around.

jose nazario, ph.d.                     jose () monkey org
                                        http://www.monkey.org/~jose/