Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: CodeGreen beta release (idq-patcher/antiCodeRed/etc.)

From: "Stanley G. Bubrouski" <stan () ccs neu edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 20:27:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Markus Kern wrote:

"Alexander Sarras (SEA)" wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Meritt James [mailto:meritt_james () bah com]

Clever tool with immoral, unethical and possibly illegal use.

Never mind that last point, I'd be more concerned with the first two.
And, *anybody* who want's to sneak a worm into my systems (no matter
what the intentions are) gets me really pissed off. That probably
holds true for a lot of people.

I absolutely understand your concerns. Personally I wouldn't want
anyone else to execute code on my machines either but a patch has been
available for months now. Every admin who cares about her systems has
already fixed them ( I'm aware that it may be difficult to apply patches
in some cases because they might break other stuff but after over two
months such problems should be solved).
The others who didn't care about Code Red are very likely not to care
about Code Green / CRclean either, yet they're still causing problems
for the community.

It's not about "well if he doesn't patch his system he doesn't care," that
is just ignorant.  Do you think the people at Microsoft/MSN didn't care
when they were infected because they didn't install a patch released
months before?  That is absurd.  Do you think people with infected
machines on the internet even know they are infected? Probably not.  Do
you think they'd be overjoyed to hear they were infected with another worm
to remove the first? Probably not.  Will this stop other people like you
from doing similar things? Probably not? Do you care about the dataloss a
worm that reboots machines without an admins permission causes? Apparently
not.

regards,
Markus Kern

Regards,

Stan

--
Stan Bubrouski                                       stan () ccs neu edu
23 Westmoreland Road, Hingham, MA 02043        Cell:   (617) 835-3284