Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: 0-day exploit..do i hear $1000?

From: Pedro Miller Rabinovitch <pedro () ciphertech com br>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 19:59:09 -0200

At 18:48 -0200 19.10.01, Thiago Conde Figueiro wrote:
HC> This certainly is an excellent point.  MSSP's are
HC> likely to see that putting a little $$ up front for
HC> big dividends in publicity on the back end.  Who's to
HC> say it hasn't already happening.

        Next thing you know, anti-virus companies will be paying
people to discover viruses.  Heyyy wait a minute... :-)

I didn't get it. Vulnerabilities are 'discovered' and 'exploited' --
viruses, on the other hand, are 'created'. Hence, the analogy to what
HC mentioned in the preceding message would be:

        "Next thing you know, anti-virus companies will be paying
people to *CREATE* viruses."

...which is, as far as I know, merely one of the many unconfirmed
rumours people exchange by the water fountains.

Regards,

        Pedro.

--
This message bears my personal opinions only and does not necessarily
reflect the company's position on any matters.

_____
"Segurança em TI - uma especialidade Cipher Technology"