Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: Open Response To Microsoft Security - RE: It's Time to End In formation Anarchy

From: Robert Tillman <Robert.Tillman () veritas com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 09:32:36 -0700

Wow in a prefect world, right ?

First off the black hats aren't telling anyone about what they have found
because
it lets them into places they want to go. Certain companies would never have
a trust fund
large enough to pay for all the bugs they create. When a company releases a
product its
generally motivated but the all mighty dollar. VPs, Board members,
stockholders and anyone
who stands to make a buck if the product is released on schedule. If you
want companies to
do the "right" thing pass the "CEL" law (cash extraction law). Where by if
company "M" released defective product "W" and the product allow hacker X to
trashed a companies e-Commerce server and took customer credit cards
information. CEL would go into effect and extract cash from VPs, Board
members, and Stockholders. Doubly so if it was a script kiddies that did the
trashing.

Can you guess how decisions in company "M" would be maid down the road?

Hackers are the explorers of the new frontier!