Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Apache HTTPD's magical behavior

From: Russell Handorf <rhandorf () mail russells-world com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 12:04:01 -0500

Today I was browsing the Internet when I came across a server that would not let me view the contents of the root dir.

However, it did let me view the contents of a dir within it's root dir. So I tried the following:

http://<server>/<dir i can browse>../

And for some reason it allowed me to view the root dir and all of its contents.

Anyone else have this problem?

I submit the following example.

First, go to

http://backbone.sourceforge.com

now, go to

http://backbone.sourceforge.net/mrtg-2.8.12/..          (Don't forget the '..'s)

I know the server log's it as viewing the readable dir plus the /.. and that files within the root dir, once exposed via the '..', may have a problem with being downloaded. That is easily circumvented via adding in the file name after .. (ex: http://<Server>/<dir>/../<file>

russ
Russell Handorf
oooo, shiney ::Wanders after it::

www.russells-world.com
www.inside-aol.com
www.terrorists.net
www.bad-mother-fucker.org
www.philly2600.net

"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pacman affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music." ~unknown