Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Errors in IE - are they exploitable?

From: Franklin DeMatto <franklin () qDefense com>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 09:22:04 -0500

Not to rarely, Internet Explorer crashes on me, with the Dr. Watson box popping up. Now, I don't believe that these are simple buffer overflows and the like, but are rather more likely caused by a complicated internal state with some bugs in it. They are certainly not easily reproducible. My question is: are these exploitable? Using JavaScript, etc., it would easy to put IE through whatever loops are necessary to get to a particular state.

All I have to work with is the Dr. Watson logs & dumps. Like I said, these are not easily reproducable. If anyone has any advice on this, please share it.

Franklin DeMatto
Senior Analyst, qDefense Penetration Testing
franklin () qDefense com
http://qDefense.com
qDefense: Making Security Accessible