Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: ATM PVC as security barrier

From: Shoten <shoten () STARPOWER NET>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 10:23:12 -0400

Your assumption (about how traffic inside a VPN cannot interact with the
routers it passes through and the devices that may happen to see it while
encrypted) is correct.  I am not aware of methods, however, by which someone
may break out of a PVC, but my gut reaction is to agree with you that a VPN
is more secure.  The downside of this is if you implement IDS, you will need
to put the sensors in places where they will see the traffic either before
encryption or after decryption.

And, er, one other thing...you might want to set up something akin to a
hotmail account and post from that instead of your company email account.
I'm not entirely sure that everyone who sees these postings is a good guy :)

Our network engineer proposed ATM PVC's as a means to route Internet
traffic
across our corporate backbone. Obviously, the best approach is to carry
the
Internet traffic on totally separate channels. However, we have to
distribute Internet access to far flung sites on our corporate owned
network, and network engineering does not want to pay for independent
communication channels. They insist on using the existing corporate
network
infrastructure because it is already there. I proposed VPN's as more
secure
than PVCs. Any other alternatives?  I am looking for feedback on using
PVC's
versus VPN's as a security barrier between our corporate network and the
Internet. Note I am proposing that VPN's provide security in the reverse
direction than how they are typically used. Rather than protecting traffic
inside the VPN transversing an insecure network, I am proposing that a VPN
can protect a corporate network from the insecure Internet traffic
confined
within the VPN. Is this a valid assumption? Note: both ends of the VPN
terminate at a firewall that we control. Comments?