Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Positive uses for rootkits

From: Big Woz <angrybob () HAVOC GTF ORG>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 15:14:47 -0500

On Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 09:00:30PM -0500, The Attitude Adjuster wrote:

OTOH, if the operating system were designed such that there was no avenue
for arbitary code to ever be executed as "kernel mode", it would be a
"winnable" game.

What types (if any) of x86-based operating systems are there that are
designed in this manner? I'm showing my ignorance here in not being able
to articulate the formal name of this type of design.

I think that plan-9 is what you're looking for.... <smile>

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9dist/

Though, it's not really a practical OS yet.

--adam