Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: BEWARE : Possible compromission under BIND 8.2.2-P5 withIquery probe

From: Lord Soth <hydrax () NETVISION NET IL>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 00:35:01 +0200

I don't think I understood what you just said.
AFAIK, when a daemon wants to bind a port that is already in use, it
can use the SO_REUSEADDR socket option to bind the port, even
if the port is still open.
Coudn't it be that named wasn't able to bind the port because it was
being run as nonprivileged ? After all, port 53 is a reserved port.
Either that, or I'm totally confused and way off :-)

LS

Ryan Sweat wrote:

     When bind 8.2.x < 8.2.3 is exploited, with the exploits I have seen,
the port (53) remains open even after the attacker logs off the box.  He may
have attempted to restart  your named, but it couldn't bind to port 53
because it was still "in use".  I suspect you are compromised.

-ryan