Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Unchecked buffer in Outlook Newsreader, Re: Local Bufferoverflow in OutlookExpress

From: Kevin van der Raad <k.van.der.raad () itsec nl>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 14:24:12 +0100

Lot-a-zzz, Gerrie,

This is an old vulnerability, see:

        http://www.malware.com/dropper.html
        http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/2260

Original message (credit) by <http-equiv () excite com>
http://www.malware.com:

--

HTML.dropper

Wednesday, January 17, 2001

Internet Explorer 5.5 and accompanying mail and news client afford us
the unique ability to dictate which icons and file extensions we
require.

Specifically, we are able to manufacture an email message to appear as
one thing when in fact it is not:

1. What?

By carefully calculating a certain length of characters in the subject
field of an email message, Outlook Express 5.5 for whatever reason
creates an attachment incorporating the text in the body of the message.

2. And

We have in fact not attached anything, yet there is a fully functional
attachment. Furthermore we can dictate which file association and
applicable icon we require in order to execute our file. We can create
it to appear as an image file, sound file, html file etc. etc.

3. What does this mean: