Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: TCP/IP ISN Prediction Susceptibility

From: Holger van Koll <holger () VANKOLL DE>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 21:29:18 +0100

"Solar, Eclipse" wrote:

Quoted from http://www.guardent.net/pr2001-03-12-ips.html

I´d like to quote something else:

"For example, utilizing a common Internet or corporate
network connection, an attacker exploiting this weakness could perform
operations such as:

Session hijacking, where a user's connection to a computer system is
taken over by an attacker, who then can operate under the authorized
user's identity in applications to which that user has access (such as
financial applications, Internet infrastructure management, etc.) "

Could somebody explain how session hijacking is related to ISN-guessing?
"session" means it is already established. ISN are done.

If I am able to sniff the session, I dont need ISN-guessing.
I can insert pakets based on the sniffed SN.

If I can´t (and therefor ISN-guessing would be helpful) it is IMHO of no
use
for already established sessions.

Can somebody shed some light on this?

Regards, Holger