Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: SV: Modern hw-killing [mod: just one more!]

From: Lynn Crumbling <lynn () X HJSOFT COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 12:37:52 -0500

On Fri, 9 Mar 2001, John Horn wrote:

They are easily reset to the factory shipping settings. I would be
more concerned with sustained frequency settings on monitors that are
too far out specs. I'm not sure what protections modern monitors have
but hopefully they incorporate some protection against this sort of
thing.

Hi John,

Sure, I know that, and you know that, but is joe-user going to know what
the correct AT commands are to set all values to the factory values [if
there exists such a command] and then write the current config as the
default? A much better question question: do most users ignorant enough to
expose themselves to viruses, even know how to get command access to the
modem? Most of them just double-click on their aol icon or there dial-up
connection icon.

I have no doubt, that for the smart masses out there, this would be
trivial to fix. I was thinking more of the dumb mega-masses...

Anyway, I concede that the freq problem for old monitors would be far more
destructive than this modem "damage" could ever be. This'll be my last
comment on this thread, unless I suddenly come up with some brilliant idea
for flashing Raid cards...... hmmmmmm.......... ;)

Cheers,
--

- Lynn

Lynn Crumbling, Sr. System Analyst