Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: TCSH problems?

From: Edsel Adap <edsel () adap org>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 11:21:58 -0400

This seems to be intentional, or perhaps the author didn't want to
think about how to handle this error.

The abort call happens in sh.dir.c in the function dcanon().
If the directory being canonicalized is longer than MAXPATHLEN, abort()
is called.  dcanon() does not seem to be able to return a failure. Any
failure in dcanon is handled by a call to abort() because every call to
dcanon() assumes dcanon() is successful.