Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: A very dangerous mail...

From: "Nexus" <nexus () patrol i-way co uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 14:04:43 +0100

Hi folks,
            Marius was kind enough to send me a copy of the original email,
including attachments.   I've always enjoyed analysing unknown and
potentially malicious files like this - feel free to pass such things on to
me.   Yes, I did just say that ;-)
Anyway, in short the email contained an early variant of the Efortune worm
(W32.Efortune.28672@ mm) details of which can be found at
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.efortune.28672 () mm html - to
precis from the writeup : "The W32.Efortune.28672@mm worm is an encrypted
mass mailer with backdoor capabilities. It uses IRC to spread."
The other attachment was fortune.zip which contained 2 files, cookie.exe and
a file_id.diz that describes the file as :

"                       FortuneCookie 32 - Version 1.0
                                * FREEWARE *

        FortuneCookie 32 is a Windows 32 version of the classical
fortune cookies you can get at some restaurants. It's very simple
double clicking on the cookie.exe file will bring up a fortune cookie.
        This program is freeware so feel free to send out a word of
wisdom to your friends!"

The cookie.exe [13/4/2001 16:15 28672 bytes] is actually another copy of the
worm.

Cheers.