Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

multi-OS infections (was Re: A code red that could bring down the net?

From: "Meritt James" <meritt_james () bah com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 13:04:05 -0400

I am only aware of two non-OS specific infections.  One operates at the
hardware level and really cares very little, if at all, for what OS is
on it (that one is sorta new.  I was suprised) and the other infected
both Unix and  VM systems somewhat like you described.

I would appreciate hearing of others!

V/R

Jim

Jason Lewis wrote:

[snip]

How about this instead?  A worm that is not only windows, but also unix
based.  It carries payload for each OS.  It works similar to CodeRed and
replicates itself.  It also installs a zombie client and creates backdoors.
Imagine a worm that wraps all the viruses in the 16 months into one.  What
if it actively searched out victims while also using Outlook to propagate
itself.

[snip]

--
James W. Meritt, CISSP, CISA