Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Anyone encountered this with NetCache?

From: Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh () pop jaring my>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 23:00:19 +0800

NetCache is a transparent http caching proxy which my ISP uses.

What I seemed to notice is that in an intercepted HTTP request, the
_domain_ name in the request takes precedence over the actual destination
IP address of original HTTP request packets.

So for example if your browser tries to ask for www.securityfocus.com but
the destination IP is actually something else (say: 198.137.240.92 coz you
were naughty and fooled your computer), you will still get
www.securityfocus.com. (This behaviour is quite inconvenient under certain
circumstances - say you're trying to get a more useful set of banner
adverts - like what's for lunch, meeting at 4pm, etc).

Whereas if you use HTTPS, you bypass the proxies and get what you fooled
your browser for.

Has anyone else encountered this?

In many transparent caching proxy setups, there's some filtering to prevent
looping.

But if I am correct about this behaviour it seems possible for someone to
use this behaviour to cause looping. This is probably not a big deal of
course. But there might be a few other interesting things one can do...

Cheerio,
Link.