Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Lotus Domino 5.0.5 Web Server vulnerability - reading files outside the web root

From: Ninke Westra <ninke () B-B NL>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 17:58:20 +0100

usig file-protection or url-redirection only works for the original
exploit.

both methods won't protect you from variations like using /.ns4/../ or
dummydirectory/.nsf/../../ to access the intended file.
the number of possible dummy directories is nearly limitless. which
clearly defeats the use of these two workarounds.

The solution offered by Leonardo Rodrigues <coelho () PERSOGO COM BR> on the bugtraq list is the best solution I've
encountered sofar.

Leonardo's fix involves adding a line to the domino\data\httpd.cnf file:
map  */../*   /somedatabase.nsf
Restart the domino server and you should be ok

(there is a chance that it might interfere with some relative links - one
could try mapping */.*  - I haven't tried this yet, nor have I encountered
any such problem on our servers.)

Ninke Westra - Principal Certified Lazy Person :P

Stefan Schmidt <sschmidt () INTRAWARE DE>
Sent by: VULN-DEV List <VULN-DEV () SECURITYFOCUS COM>
09-01-01 16:29
Please respond to sschmidt