Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Securax Advisory 13 (from bugtraq)

From: Crist Clark <crist.clark () GLOBALSTAR COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 10:41:13 -0800

[Ouch. Your paragraphs are all on one line. Could you wrap at 72 characters
or so?]

John Herron wrote:

Ok, I was a little upset to see this posted since I was working on this a while back (few months ago) but wanted to
get an actual result rather than a DoS so I never considerred posting it, but as we've seen a few people wrote
scripts before  that too so I can't complain.  Ya snooze ya lose.

What I wanted to mention is instead of just a DoS (which IS theoretically doable, if you can keep each ttyp* in use
or if you can continuously send a character to each one and then repeat (although it'd have to be fast to truly keep
anyone off the system)).  What I was trying to do (this is in FreeBSD 4.x btw) is when I do a "more /dev/ttyp1" (just
use the next available ttyp after you), type anything "ls -a", then telnet into that machine.  Once you telnet in,
FreeBSD seems to use the first available tty (in this case ttyp1), it opens it, disconnects the person trying to
connect and on ttyp0 (or whatever your original tty was when you did the "more") it will run the command you typed
(ls -a).

Hmmm... You do this?

  $ more /dev/ttyp1
  ls -a

So, uh, what's the point/exploit? That's pretty much the same as,

  $ sleep 60
  ls -a

Provided you can type the 'ls -a' in a minute. The 'ls -a' is just waiting
for the 'more' to finish before running. Or more accurately, your input
is being buffered until the 'more' is done running. But I don't see anything
special about using /dev/ttyp1.

Since ttyp* are all owned by root/wheel I was trying to see if there was a way to pull off getting a command to run
as root (in my case I was always just trying "more /etc/master.passwd").  I was able to create a link (hard link
though) in the /tmp directory for it, but that doesn't do anything neat except I can edit that file and it will also
deny that terminal (the pain is that the file in the tmp directory "bla" is also root/wheel so I as a normal user
can't delete it (and I'm just commenting.. I just go in as root and kill it since its my box but I'm trying to do
these tricks w/o any privaledges)).

As you noticed, creating a hardlink gives you nothing. And what does
making the hardlink have to do with /dev/ttyp1? You can just,

  $ cd /tmp
  $ ln /etc/master.passwd .

And do who what you say, right? This is normal behavior.

A symbolic link only creates me bla2->/dev/ttyp1 which again, acts like editting ttyp1 but again I can't (also don't
really know how) if I could just write a script to do a command THEN ln /dev/ttyp1 /tmp/bla2 but that doesn't work
for me so I can't try a symbolic link attack (as far as I understand how it works).

Again, where are you going here? What is the security hole you are
trying to exploit? Anyone can create a symbolic link pointing to anything
they'd like provided they can write the parent directory.

I'm obviously not a skilled hacker, just a person that has the interest at this stage so I can only screw around.  I
figure you all probably know if theres any potential here.  Any ideas?  Also, one last thing.. as user "guest" (group
guest) whenever I create a file its getting created as group "wheel".. should that be happenning? (it does it even
when I logged out and back in)

This is probably the expected behavior. In BSD-type OSes, a new file
is created with the group of its parent directory. Is that the group
of the directory you are in?
--
Crist J. Clark                                Network Security Engineer
crist.clark () globalstar com                    Globalstar, L.P.