Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: The problem with NT services ...

From: 3APA3A <3APA3A () SECURITY NNOV RU>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 21:25:56 +0300

Dear Balamurugan Koodalingam,

There is more cool attack:

1. Install second copy of Windows NT
2. Type "password" then prompted for Administrator's account password
3.  Ooops!  You  did  it  again!  Now  you've  hacked  NT and you know
administrator's password.

To  be serious: on http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools.asp
you  can  find  different  recommendations  on  how  to  set  up  file
permissions   for   Windows   NT   Installation,  including  ones  for
C2-evaluated  configuration.  If  you follow this configuration nobody
will be able to rename any of your system files.

There  are also different sources where you can learn about setting up
auditing on sensitive system files.

BTW:  proposed  C2  isn't  most restrictive configuration. You can use
more  restrictive  file  permissions which will not allow users to see
content  and  access files of another users in TEMP folder and execute
programs  from  TEMP,  profiles and their home folders. Smart user can
bypass  some of this restrictions but it's good against some viria and
trojans.

/3APA3A

19.01.2001 18:49, you wrote: The problem with NT services ...;