Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Cons and Security Validation

From: H D Moore <hdm () SECUREAUSTIN COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 06:51:17 -0600

Almost everyone I have met who runs wargame networks normally sets a
no-outbound policy on their firewalls and routers beforehand.  ICMP could be
dropped outgoing, TCP can be filtered for Syn's, UDP attacks are somewhat
hard to block, due to the necessity of DNS.  This doesnt stop someone from
launching an ACK/UDP flood, but keeps most the kids from using the box as a
hop point.

Given that the operator took steps to keep people from relaying attacks, it
may be hard to make a legal case against them if someone finds a way around
it.  Just like subverting system security is normally a crime, subverting the
filtering rules could be treated in the same light.

-HD