Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: p-smash halts Microsoft Windows 98

From: Jose Nazario <jose () BIOCSERVER BIOC CWRU EDU>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 17:31:43 -0500

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Paulo Ribeiro wrote:

So, I've made a program (p-smash.c, which is attached) and I'm sending
it for you.

Please, remember that I've only tested it on my LAN.

so, i had a look at the code, and it seems to send packets as fast as
humanly possible. are you sure that you're not simply ICMP flooding the
system, that you really are expending resources in packet *analysis*, not
simply bandwidth hogging? one quick test is to ping another host on the
LAN at the same time to make sure that bandwidth is available to other
machines on the network (not in a switched environment).

if you add some usleep()'s in there, do you get the same effect?

jose nazario                                                 jose () cwru edu
                     PGP: 89 B0 81 DA 5B FD 7E 00  99 C3 B2 CD 48 A0 07 80
                                       PGP key ID 0xFD37F4E5 (pgp.mit.edu)