Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Sniffer for ADSL

From: Antti Hakulinen <thpo () DREAMTHEATER ZZN COM>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 21:21:02 +0200

Yees indeed.

Why that could occur is more than simple.
(Sorry, 'cause i don't know how those programs work)

You are looking for open ports from your network machines? Or just looking
another direct ummm... connection/communication with the other computers in
your "ADSL" network?
Heh, are you classed as firewalled in napster? ;)

In 99% of the ADSL cases, they don't actually have any open ports you see to
the world, in other words look at the N #2 :)
Why to give user open ports when one could easily then put up own server.
Well, the ISP can make profit of that too, charge you a little, so they can
open 2 maybe more ports for others to see, or even to set your machine to
accept 2 way connections in whole world, that always is more or less
expensive, and ISP want's to make a profit of it . Most likely, other ADSL
connections are behind a certain firewall, #2 or they do have a grey IP
adresses (which propably is 100% your case), so that is frustrating too in
certain way... :/

Most likely also, ADSL and Dial-up connections are in different Subnet, so,
therefore it could be totally inefficient to scan your own "NETWORK" which
is propably full of only ADSL modems, if these above rules are true.

If you do find a way or i am totally wrong, please let me know.

Regards:Antti Hakulinen