Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Buffer overflow in BitchX-75p3 (Local)

From: visi0n <visi0n () AUX-TECH NET>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 19:26:39 -0300

        There's no reason to leave BitchX suid, not leaving the topic off
of the message BitchX 1.0c18 has the same local bof found in BitchX 1.0c17
and prev , so "noc noc anybody home" ?
visi0n
AUX Technologies
[www.aux-tech.net]

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Nelson Brito wrote:

s1gnal_9 wrote:

Tested on Redhat 7.0

A overflow occurs in the HOME environment.

HOME=`perl -e '{print "A"x"3620"}'`

A few years ago I found a overflow condition like that.

Try to put in your own .ircrc:
/nick blablabla

And, then, execute BitchX. You'll see a Segmentatio Fault message.

But, like you said:
"This is not exploitable!
Just a reminder to keep all your program like this one non-suid. I have believe
it or not ran into admins that had BitchX suid...(yea I could'nt believe it
either)."

Sem mais,
--
Nelson Brito
"Windows NT can also be protected from nmap OS detection scans thanks