Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Proxy bypass in Opera : security related ?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 15:20:13 -0500

On Wed, 05 Dec 2001 10:22:45 +0100, Nicolas Gregoire <ngregoire () exaprobe com>  said:

I haven't any really interesting scenario for this bug.
Yes, it's possible to make a user follow a link and get a page without using the configured proxy, but if,
in a company, there's a proxy and a way to fetch web pages without using the proxy, the problem is,
in my opinion, a security policy problem ....

Does anybody see any security implication for this bug ?

Yes, that's a problem.  A malicious webpage can force you to not use
(for example) a Junkbuster proxy that you're using to filter your requests.

So a malicious page can do things that *should* have been filtered out
by your proxy - and that's a security implication.

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst