Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

sadc Segmentation Fault

From: smackenz <smackenz () brad ac uk>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 22:36:54 +0000

Bug with Command::              sadc
Located::                       /usr/lib/sa/sadc

Date:           Mon Dec  3 21:01:19 GMT 2001
Program:        sadc  (/usr/lib/sa/sadc)
Problem:        Segmentation fault

DESCRIPTION (from man)
       The sadc command samples system data a specified number of
       times  (  count ) at a specified interval measured in secĀ­
       onds ( interval ).
       The sadc command is intended to be used as  a  backend  to
       the sar command.
       The proc filesystem must be mounted for the sadc command to work.

       /var/log/sa/sadd  -->  daily report file.

I don't know much about this command except it is run with system level
privileges by executing /usr/lib/sa/sadc [if you have it on your system].

I'm not sure if this command is occasionally run by root from a default
install (i.e redhat 7.1) since I have had not time at all to look into it.
If anyone knows more about the system usage of this program, there comments
would be greatly appreciated.

See below for shell examples.

[smackenz@mainframe smackenz]$ id
uid=1001(smackenz) gid=1001(smackenz) groups=1001(smackenz)

[smackenz@mainframe smackenz]$ /usr/lib/sa/sadc
Cannot open /var/log/sa/sa03: Permission denied
<log files.....>

smackenz@mainframe smackenz]$ ps aux |grep sadc
smackenz  1608  0.0  0.2  1732  592 pts/1    R    21:14   0:00   grep sadc
<not running at all....>

Following this as user 'smackenz' I carried out the following commands:

[smackenz@mainframe smackenz]$ /usr/lib/sa/sadc `perl -e 'print "A" x 200'`
[smackenz@mainframe smackenz]$ /usr/lib/sa/sadc `perl -e 'print "A" x 210'`
[smackenz@mainframe smackenz]$ /usr/lib/sa/sadc `perl -e 'print "A" x 220'`
[smackenz@mainframe smackenz]$ /usr/lib/sa/sadc `perl -e 'print "A" x 230'`
[smackenz@mainframe smackenz]$ /usr/lib/sa/sadc `perl -e 'print "A" x 240'`
[smackenz@mainframe smackenz]$ /usr/lib/sa/sadc `perl -e 'print "A" x 250'`
[smackenz@mainframe smackenz]$ /usr/lib/sa/sadc `perl -e 'print "A" x 260'`
Cannot open
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:

File name too long
[smackenz@mainframe smackenz]$ /usr/lib/sa/sadc `perl -e 'print "A" x 270'`
Cannot open
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:

File name too long

etc.... until

[smackenz@mainframe smackenz]$ /usr/lib/sa/sadc `perl -e 'print "A" x 290'`
Segmentation fault (core dumped)