Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Is GOT exploitable in solaris?

From: KF <dotslash () snosoft com>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 13:51:03 -0500

On the same note ANY papers with specifics to Big Endian format string exploitation is something I have longed for for some time now... I am working on an MPC750 powerpc processor. Please post links!
-KF

Minchu Mo wrote:

The entry of Global Offset Table in linux is pointer to piece of executable code( say printf), so overwrite the pointer will force the process run your shellcode or whatever..

Maybe a mistake/illusion after too much beer, I found the Solaris implmentation of GOT entry is actually not pointer, but starting point of 3 instructions which finally jump to say, printf executable code. So overwrite the entry with your shell code address simply corrupt these instruction but not control the process.

Has anybody succesfully exploit GOT entry in solaris?

Or another way of asking; Is GOT/PLT implemented differently in linux/solaris?