Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Linux Firewalls

From: Kain <kain () kain org>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 18:50:53 -0600

On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 02:51:53PM -0800, McKee, Charles wrote:
I have a quick question about an article I have just read in the latest
addition of Sys Admin.
In the article it states that one can keep alive IPChains and Natd when
you do a shutdown -h on a Linux box, that is running Red hat 6.2.

I was wondering will this work on for the latest versions of Linux and
what about the BSD family, Mandrake or even Solaris.

What happens is that ipchains, iptables, and other friends have rulesets
that would only get unloaded by a shutdown script.  In most cases, it
wouldn't matter, since those kernel subsystems will never see packets
since all your net interfaces should be brought down by that point.
--
Assassins do it from behind.
**