Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

JScript bugs in Internet Explorer 5 & 6 create stack faults & invalid page faults in various DLL's.

From: <SkyLined () mail com>
Date: 14 Dec 2001 15:57:39 -0000

I have found a number of errors in JScript in IE 5 & 6
which can kill all instances of IE on windows 9x &
2000 and can make a windows 9x system fatally
instable. Whether this bug is exploitable to gain
access on another system is yet unknown because I
lack the expertise to find out. The errors will occur
when a page containing malicious JScript code is
opened in IE. (Active scripting must be turned on for
this to work).
A number of different versions of the bug result in
different stack faults and invalid page faults in four
different DLL's:
- SHLWAPI.DLL Shell Light-weight Utility Library (MS
Internet Explorer)
- MSHTML.DLL Microsoft (R) HTML Viewer (MS
Internet Explorer)
- JSCRIPT.DLL Microsoft (R) JScript (IE or
Windows ?)
- KERNEL32.DLL Win32 Kernel core component
(MS Windows)
Crashing KERNEL32.DLL will bring down the win 9x
systems.
The general form of the code is:
&ltOBJECT src="invalid resource"
onError="this.src='invalid resource';"&gt
e.g. &ltIMG src="::" onError="this.src='::';"&gt
Probable cause is the infinite loop that this produces.
Further details about the bugs can be found on my
website, http://spoor12.edup.tudelft.nl/skylined.
(Which is under constant revision and construction
so don't be surprised if it is somewhat buggie ;)