Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: IE Denial of service (sorta)

From: Simon Kornblith <slists () simonster com>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 20:11:48 -0500

On 12/4/01 5:00 PM, "zeno" <zeno () cgisecurity net> wrote:

Hey

I found this months ago and though it was patched but it managed to cause new
errors
on win me with all updates on IE in kernel. On default win2k IE install it
sucks up 100 percent cpu
for half on hour(128 meg of ram).

Please click on it and tell me what happens to you.
(include version and patch info)

Its a image tag with some garbage characters in a particular order.
I haven't bothered contacting microsoft yet because I'm not sure just how
common a problem
this is, and with what patches installed.

www.cgisecurity.com/crash.shtml
also try /crash2.shtml

On IE 5.1 for Mac OS X pretty much makes IE useless for a few minutes, then
puts some garbage characters on the screen.

Probably a worse effect on IE 5 for Classic Mac OS as you might not be able
to use the machine for a while.

Same results with crash2.shtml

Simon