Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Sendmail-8.11.2 / persistent connections

From: Liviu Daia <Liviu.Daia () imar ro>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 11:53:20 +0300

On 3 August 2001, Lindsey Simon <lsimon () auschron com> wrote:
For the last two days we've been trying to figure out why all our
email clients were timing out with our mail server. I've since
installed postfix and that fixed the problem.
[...]

    Actually, this problem came up on Postfix list too.  As it turned
out, people reporting it were using MAPS RBL (that is, DNS lookups to
relays.mail-abuse.org and friends) for rejecting spam, and RBL stopped
servicing public queries since August 1st (they turned commercial, see
f.i. http://www.mail-abuse.org/feestructure.html).  So, while Postfix
does run circles around sendmail in almost any imaginable way, this
particular issue has nothing to do with sendmail.

    FWIW, here's what people have suggested to use instead of RBL:

        http://www.orbl.org
        http://www.ordb.org
        http://www.orbz.org
        http://relays.osirusoft.com
        http://orbs.gst-group.co.uk
        http://www.rfc-ignorant.com
        http://www.dorkslayers.com

    Regards,

    Liviu Daia

--
Dr. Liviu Daia               e-mail:   Liviu.Daia () imar ro
Institute of Mathematics     web page: http://www.imar.ro/~daia