Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Web session tracking security prob. Vulnerable: IIS and ColdFusion (maybe others)

From: "Jeff Jancula" <Jeff () Jancula com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 01:38:11 -0400

As best I can tell, CFID is not the user ID - as it is usually the same for all visitors to the web site. I can only
guess that it's more like a server ID. CFTOKEN is the actual session number. Note: These two cookies (or parameters)
are for ColdFusion ONLY.

IIS uses something similar called ASPSESSIONID. With ASPSESSIONID, the first group of 8 characters is the same for all
visitors. Again, I believe this portion of ASPSESSIONID is a server identifier, and the remaining 16 characters make up
the actual session number.

ColdFusion chose to separate the two, whereas IIS chose to combine them.

If I send you a link similar to https://someserver.com?CFID=101&CFTOKEN=99999, and then later we both visit the web
site, using the same (or similar) links; the server will consider us to be the same user session. If I time it right,
then I should wait for YOU to login, so I don't have to. In effect, I can become your clone (in a web sense).

Jeff