Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: CR and Cable Modems

From: <oktal () gmx co uk>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 14:30:15 +0100

From: Mike <buggin () optonline net>
To: <vuln-dev () securityfocus com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2001 1:39 AM
Subject: CR and Cable Modems

Is it possible for the CR worm to affect the
performance of a cable modem if that modem has a
built in web based configuration tool that is accessed
via a 192 static ip?  To be a little more specific, by
performance I am suggesting the possibility for the
built in USB feature to drop an ip address after being
probed by the CR?  Two particular cable modems
that I am inquiring about would be the 3Com home
connect and the Motorola SB4100.

only if a host on your side of the modem is infected.
the 192.168.* address would only be accessible from
the usb interface. so if the pc connected to the modem
got infected, or another pc on your network, then CR
could possibly affect it. and it does have a history of
mucking up non-iis servers as well as the iis servers
that is was designed to muck up.