Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Format Bugs in Windows Code?

From: Scott Hardy <hardy () RAINEY BLUENEPTUNE COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 08:44:58 -0700

I first noticed format bugs in an MSDOS BBS about 9 years ago --
but it had a lot of buggy code in it, so I never really thought
of it as a pervasive problem so much as one unique to newbie
coders (which I was then myself).  It had stack overflows too,
so I mentally lumped it all together and forgot about it until
now.

While I don't mess around with proprietary OSes much, I'm sure
there must be format bugs all over the place.  There's no
reason I can think of to expect it to be in any category of
software more than any other (aside *maybe* from stuff written
in languages which are unlike C).

-- Scott