Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Neotrace v2.12a Buffer Overflow [?]

From: Juliano Rizzo <jrz () MAIL RU>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 21:53:29 -0300

Looking at your messages seems to be enough to determine that
the overflow is exploitable because EIP was overwritten with
0x26 (& sign) and that char is also on the stack dump.

I recently download this funny program. You didn't say where
the overflow is, my first try was typing a long (not so long: 240)
string on the address field and it crashed. This is a real overflow
and it's possible to execute arbitrary code. But, who wants to
exploit this program locally? I think this particular bug isn’t
danger.
Would be a  problem  if the same overflow occurs when the
program resolves domain names or request any other
information from a remote non trusted source.

--
Juliano Rizzo <juliano () core-sdi com>
http://julianor.tripod.com

--
Juliano Rizzo <julianorizzo () ciudad com ar>

[Llave PGP disponible en servidores]
PGP DH/DSS 1024/2048 Fingerprint:
0739 CA21 677F E847 4D8C  720D E5C1 2329 0344 3CD6