Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Automatic antispoofing rules on access servers.

From: Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh () POP JARING MY>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 14:48:17 +0800

The difference is, with this feature, you should not have to do as much
reconfiguration if your netblocks change. That's what I'm talking about -
lowering the administration costs for installing such rules at the access
points.

Check out the url. You'll see that you don't have to write the rules by
hand. Use the same statements for every router.

By putting the rules at the access servers, ISP can stop customers from
spoofing others within their networks.

Btw I'm not trying to promote Cisco here. In fact I was actually about to
post asking if any router manufacturer had done such a thing - uniform
config parameter(s) to do antispoofing on tons of different routers and
interfaces.  And then I found something like it on Cisco's site, and now
I'm wondering if ISPs actually know about it and are using it.

I was thinking "why hasn't anybody done this", and then "Oh they have!" :).

Cheerio,

Link.