Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: ATM Switches

From: Richard Ginski <rginski () CO PINELLAS FL US>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 13:55:20 -0400

Hi list,

We are in the design process of upgrading our Internet connectivity from dual T-1 to ATM. In that process we are
contemplating using an existing ATM switch (implemented for our internal network) by way of separate channels (pvc's)
on separate ports for a new 6 meg ATM connection for the Internet. The equipment to accomplish this is a Fore Systems
1200 ATM Switch. I am being told that this is okay as far as security is concerned, but my gut feeling tells me that
there is something wrong with this picture. The entry point from the pvc would still hit our security infrastructure,
firewall,  IDS etc. It would really help if I could receive input from the group on this. Especially from the ATM
switch experts out there. I really could use some specifics as to why this is okay or a bad idea. Thanks in advance.