Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Non-priv'ed users able to reboot RH 7.0?

From: Joe Testa <jst3290 () RITVAX ISC RIT EDU>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 18:15:09 -0400

Hi.

    I've found on my personal Redhat 7.0 system that any unprivilaged
user can issue a 'reboot' command to reboot the machine.  I have another
RH 7 box, but I haven't been able to reproduce it on that one.  Both
systems were installed using the "Custom" option, and on clean HDs.  My
personal system has GNOME installed and other necessary items.  The
other system is a webserver, so it has very little on it besides apache,
gcc, etc...

    Here's an example:

sh-2.04$ uname -a
Linux virtue 2.2.16-22 #1 Tue Aug 22 16:49:06 EDT 2000 i686 unknown
sh-2.04$ id
uid=99(nobody) gid=99(nobody) groups=99(nobody)
sh-2.04$ reboot

Broadcast message from root (tty1) Sat Oct  7 16:02:49 2000...

The system is going down for reboot NOW !!

sh-2.04$ reboot
reboot: must be superuser.
sh-2.04$

    Can anyone else reproduce this?