Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Core Dump as an Intrusion Event

From: Slawek <sgp () TELSATGP COM PL>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 17:03:14 +0200

Hi,

Yes, this would be good idea. There souldn't be coredumps from daemons, and
if they are than I think they need to be analised even if they aren't
"intrusion triggered" :)

BUT there is a "small" problem

Format bugs (in many situations) allow an attacker to read the memory
without core dumping.. and modify it after an analise so there is _no_
coredump from "wrong" exploit nor from successsful exploit.

just my $.02
Slawek