Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

FW: Serious Hole in Comment/Discussion CGI Script

From: Richard Bartlett <richard_bartlett () SW2000 COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 12:24:42 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: VULN-DEV List [mailto:VULN-DEV () SECURITYFOCUS COM]On Behalf Of
Barry Russell
Sent: 27 October 2000 01:11
To: VULN-DEV () SECURITYFOCUS COM
Subject: Re: Serious Hole in Comment/Discussion CGI Script

Well I tried the nullbyte/%00 trick and it was a no go. And no the script
does
not parse out metacharacters

Vitaly McLain wrote:

Hi,

I am not too good with Perl, but I think I see potential for some
exploitation here.
You said you were able to open text-files because of...

open(FILE, "commentdata/$article.txt");

Does the script parse out any metacharachters from $article? If it does
not,
then it has major problems.
The direct avenue of attack would be to try directory transversal, i.e
trying to view a file like ../../../../../etc/passwd. Obviously this won't
work, because there will be a .txt appended to passwd, and that is why you
should try that "null trick" you mentioned. Append a %00 to the end, which
should confuse Perl into only seeing the /etc/passwd part when opening the
script (see Phrack #55 for more info.)

Good luck.

Vitaly McLain
twistah () datasurge net