Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Protecting Java Class Files...

From: spin <spin () MASSIVE CH>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 21:30:28 +0200

SMILER wrote:
My customers are running some online games that gives points to the
pplayers if they win, and the points can be exchanged by prices later on.
What I pretented to do is to protect their java class files as they
canĀ“t be easily decompiled, and I am sure there must be some ways
to do this.
Any suggestions ?
Smiler.

It depends on what you're trying to hide. If you're trying to
conceal the way points are awarded and avoid too obvious
exploitation... it's probably not a Good Idea unless the prizes
aren't costing your customer any money at all.

Obfuscating class files may give you some time to redesign your
game architecture... but IMHO, it's not a solution. You must not
trust the client...

I'd suggest taking a look at this article titled "How to Hurt the
Hackers: The Scoop on Internet Cheating and How You Can
Combat It" (what a title...) :

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20000724/pritchard_01.htm

This article points out another thing you might need to consider:

Rule #6: Any communication over an open line is vulnerable to
interception, analysis, and modification.

that is, even if your applet/application is completely concealed, it
may be possible to cheat by analyzing the network protocol...

Of course, if you only want to make it harder for ppl to modify
or reuse your classes... obfuscation may be the solution.

  spin