Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Distributed 'zombie' networks?

From: David Knaack <dknaack () RDTECH COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 17:24:15 -0600

Greetings,

I wasn't quite sure which list to post this question to,
hopefully this one is approximately correct.

I recently examined an mIRC based script used to operate
compromised computers as 'zombies' in an IRC channel.

It got me thinking that such a network as several single
point-failure vulnerabilities, and that a more robust solution
would be a distributed network, similar to the way gnutella
works.

I'm now curious if such a tool is already known?

The basic idea is essentially the same as Gnutella, except
with broadcast messages set up so it is not possible to gain
any knowledge of the network by watching the traffic (to
prevent discovery of the identity of the master), and with
each client waiting to execute commands for the master.

DK
--
99 little bugs in the code, 99 bugs in the code,
fix one bug, compile it again, 101 little bugs in the code.