Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

antivirus smurfing

From: John Galt <galt () INCONNU ISU EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 23:31:04 -0700

I've noticed that the email trojan explosion as of late is spawning
another type of explosion: antivirus bots that have no real purpose except
to advertise that somesuch company's antivirus must be good, since it
caught this one.  It seems that one message can lead to a cascade of
dozens of messages to all who received the virus.  Throw in to this mix
the fact that it's trivial to set up an email alias to a large group of
lists and make one of those targets a simple .vacation account that
resends a copy of the trojan, and all of a sudden we have a feedback loop
from hell.  Is there something here I'm missing?

--
When you are having a bad day, and it seems like everybody is trying to
tick you off, remember that it takes 42 muscles to produce a frown, but

Who is John galt?  Galt () inconnu isu edu, that's who!