Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: more locale problems?

From: Andrew Griffiths <griffiths_a () scholar don tased edu au>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 08:17:07 +1100

No, thats right. When you run a suid program it doesn't clear those. This is
what I saw as a potential bug.

I can't think of any suid program that clears these yet though.

Damian Menscher wrote:

On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, Andrew Griffiths wrote:

$ export LOCPATH=/home/andrewg/stuff
$ su
# set | grep LOCPATH
LOCPATH=/home/andrewg/stuff
# strace /usr/sbin/userhelper 2>&1 | grep andrewg

cool. Now I can specify where a possibly given suid program gets it
output text.

Maybe I'm missing your point, but I think you're just not using the `su`
command properly.  From its manpage (on an Irix 6.5.6m machine):

To become user bin while retaining your previously exported environment,
execute:

     su bin

To become user bin but change the environment to what would be expected
if bin had originally logged in, execute:

     su - bin

Damian Menscher
--
--==## Grad. student & Sys. Admin. @ U. Illinois at Urbana-Champaign ##==--