Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Windows2000 telnet exploit

From: Philip Wagenaar <pb.wagenaar () CHELLO NL>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 11:44:44 -0800

Hello all!

 We recently installed a windows 2000 advanced server with service pack 1 =
 to play around with at work. Everything looked ok, untill I started to =
 play with the telnet server. I started the service and turned off NTLM =
login so I could use cleartext telnet connections to the server. =
 Everthing looked ok, until I started to enter extremely long string for =
 login and password ( +3000 chars) and found out I received a strange =
 error message.

 Normaly when you try to login with a bad login/password, the telnet =
 server will return: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password. =
 Nothing strange there. But when I tried to login using those extremely =
 long logins and password the telnet server returned a diffrent error =
 message that made me turn off telnet server immediately:

 The filename or extension is too long.

 Is this some kinda of bufferoverflow????

 I havent been able to run any files using the login, but I just recently =
 discovered this and havent had the time to find out what stringformat(?) =
 it uses.

 I`m not familiar with exploits (yet?) so I was wondering if I was on to =
 something or that this is normal

 Philip Wagenaar
 The Netherlands